CRCs work closely with their Local Government and relationships with the local Shire are especially important. To find out more about the Shire of Meekatharra, visit their website: www.meekashire.wa.gov.au or call (08) 99800600.
- Take a Meeka Creek Trail or Town Heritage Walk and explore the history and heritage of Meekatharra and its people. The Discovery trail, including the Meekatharra lookout, provides a fascinating insight into natural and cultural heritage of Meekatharra.
- The town's gold prospecting past is displayed proudly on a walk down the main street with the State Battery and other interesting relics from the era.
- Take a tour of the Royal Flying Doctors Base and learn about the role of the Flying Doctors in outback life.
- Peace Gorge, just five kilometres from the town is an ideal setting for a picnic. The area boasts beautiful granite rock formations and a rich history as the location of a picnic gala, welcoming home service men from World War I.
- View the locally crafted quilts and over a 100 photographs and interesting memorabilia portraying life through the ages in the Meekatharra Museum.
- View the stunning array of wildflowers, covering the red earth in many vivid colours.
Whether you are passing through, new to the community, or a local resident looking to become involved, contact us today to find out more about the diverse groups, clubs and activities that make our community so unique. Get involved – new members are always welcome!
Growing Opportunities In Our Community.
Our aim is to identify and deliver services that evolve Social and Economic Development in Meekatharra and the Murchison. Therefore a significant focus for us is to work with the community, to identify opportunities, and deliver services to realise these opportunities. Our community development initiatives include:
- Community Resource Centre: 08 99801 811
- Meeka Goes Green (local recycling): 08 99 801 811/99 800 600
- Golf Club Apr-Oct: 08 99811 097
- Rifle Club May-July: 08 99811 097
- Race Club: 08 99801 811
- Gymkhana: 08 99811 250
- Meeka FM (local radio station): 08 9981 1358
- Dirt Kart Club: 0438 946 452
- Wildlife animal rescuer Jo: 0428 952 791
Meekatharra DUST is a local monthly publication produced by the Shire of Meekatharra for queries contact the Shire Office on 08 99800600.